Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Module 5 Blog

I responded to Wandra Coffield and Charlotte Vaughn for module 5 blog.
http://carollee387.blogspot.com
http://charlottevaughn.blogspot.com


There was an introductory lesson I planned at the beginning of the school year and I was met with disappointing results. I had completed 2 quarters of classes through Walden University and I made plans to use more technology in my classroom. The subject was World History and studying ancestors fit in well. I decided to have the students, who were mostly 10th graders, create a family tree. First,the students would get as much information from their parents on both sides of the family. Next, the students would take the information and make a family tree and share a small presentation. I spent the majority of the time that was spent in class for the project, showing the students how to put the presentation together and how to make a family tree. The students knew how to chat, check and receive e-mail, and complete searches. They did not know how to organize and put together information to share with other people.
The students took much more time than I had expected. They did not have the skills needed to complete the assignment, and I assumed they did. The students did not get to work and did a large amount of talking. They did not know how to get started on the project, so they talked.
I learned that I should not assume that all students know how to do something. I have decided to stretch the project out through the first nine weeks and make it a mid-term project. Ths will give more relevance to the assignment (Driscoll, 2005). In order for students to have any confidence, they will need instruction on how to plan and organize a presentation. After students know what is expected, they are able to focus on the assignment.

5 comments:

  1. Sharon,
    I too have made assumptions about my students in the past and discovered later that they had no clue about something I thought they should have known. Therefore, when teaching a new concept or skill now I teach like I am teaching and presenting information to a group that has never been exposed to the information. Many times, I try to think ahead and prepare for things I know my students will have difficulty with during class time. You can also create a checklist before the assignment to determine what student know and do not know before beginning the assignment or project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many issues mention about cockfight in philipine, we are from ayam bangkok super jalu mematikan want to explain that. You can read our article. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dalam artikel kali ini kami ingin memberikan sedikit masukan tentang Panduan Cara Main Mix Parlay Sbobet Online yang akan merubah nasib. Percaya atau tidak percaya tapi (Baca Selengkapnya Disini...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dapatkan Promo-promo Spesial Setiap Bulannya di Donaco Poker
    Nikmati Kemudahan Deposit Donaco Poker dengan PULSA dan OVOpay yang kami sediakan..
    Nikmati juga banyak Bonus Lainnya Yang Kami Sediakan..

    Dapatkan Deposit dengan rate potongan terendah untuk Telkomsel, AXIS dan XL..

    DEPOSIT VIA TELKOMSEL

    DEPOSIT VIA XL

    DEPOSIT VIA AXIS

    Dapatkan
    - Bonus Deposit 15% New Member Weekend.
    - Bonus Deposit 10% Next Deposit Weekend.
    - BONUS DEPOSIT HARIAN 5%
    - BONUS ROLLINGAN MINGGUAN 0.5%
    - BONUS KEJUTAN LAINNYA

    Hubungi Kami Secepatnya Di :
    WHATSAPP : +6281333555662

    ReplyDelete